When's the last time you ate a turnip? Okay, but how about a rutabaga? Exactly the point of this soup - it gives you a chance to add some variety to your diet - and it's yummy - and ya gotta love those cute little pasta shells.
- 2 TBS cooking oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped turnip
- 1 chopped rutabega
- 3 chopped carrots
- 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 TBS tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper slices (from jar)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2-4 cloves chopped raw garlic (or to taste)
- 1 14 oz can kidney beans (or any beans you like)
- 1/2 cup dried brown rice (or, okay REAL if you want) pasta shells
- Heat oil in stock pot and add chopped onion.
- Cook 5 mins, until softened.
- Add chopped carrot, turnip, rutabaga.
- Add canned tomatoes, puree, and chopped red peppers.
- Pour in vegetable stock and bring to boil.
- Stir, then cover and simmer 30-45 mins.
- Add pasta to pot, and bring to boil. Add water if needed.
- Lower heat and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in kidney beans and garlic, remove from heat.
Season w/salt and pepper and desired spices to taste (marjarom, oregano, basil, etc.)
- Serve with parmesan cheese (or the soy version, if vegan.)