Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hemp Protein: The Cravings Killer



Nope, it doesn't get you high.

Hemp comes from the same plant as marijuana, but it's not a hallucinogenic. So go ahead and pack it in your carry-on luggage without worrying about airport security; the drug-sniffing dogs will ignore you.

I try to start every day with hemp protein, (although sometimes I just don't feel like it - progress, not perfection.)

There a several brands of hemp protein powder on the market; I get whatever's on sale at Whole Foods. I mix 2-4 TBS of the powder into a glass of unsweetened almond milk, then add 1-2 TBS of greens powder and stir, stir, stir.

It's not the best-tasting thing in the world, but it really works to stop cravings throughout the day, which helps you make better food choices. And, when I drink it regularly, I just feel better.

When I skip a few days, I can feel the difference. The texture of my skin feels rougher, and I'm hungrier.

There are ways to make it taste really good, but they take longer, so I don't bother anymore. BUT if you wanna take baby steps, you can start out with a hemp shake. Put in a blender:

  • 1 banana (preferably frozen - I keep a bag of peeled bananas in my freezer for smoothies)

  • 5-6 frozen organic strawberries

  • 8 oz cup unsweetened almond milk (vanilla or chocolate)

  • 2-4 TBS hemp protein

  • 1-2 TBS greens powder (chocolate flavored makes it all much easier!)

  • handful of walnuts or sunflower seeds, if you want

It's yummy, but a pain in the butt to make, and I hate washing out the blender every day. But, if it makes you a hemp-believer like me, it might be worth the effort. And after a while, you might lose the banana, strawberries and blender. I really think you'll feel the difference in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment